|Education Required:||Bachelor’s Degree from an ABET accredited program or Equivalent|
The Engineering Manager is responsible for driving reliability and performance improvements through innovation of wind turbine redesign and improved products optimizing the original design. The Engineering Manager is also responsible for directly delivering, or supporting the organization’s KPI performance of, Diamond’s KPI such as Safety, Quality, On-Time Delivery, Costs, Availability, Training, Revenue, and Margin. The candidate shall bring a unique combination of leadership, technical excellence and a record of creating innovative solutions in a timely manner.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Manager a team of engineers, technicians, and scientists;
- Provide engineering and technical support for (GE, MHI, Vestas, Gamesa, Simens, Suzlon, etc.) wind turbines;
- Engineer, plan, and execute warranty remediation in a cost effective and timely manner;
- Perform root cause analysis (RCA) and corresponding quality solutions for wind turbine reliability enhancements;
- Design troubleshooting protocols, using mechanical or electronic testing equipment where applicable;
- Document and evaluate test results, providing solutions including pilot tests demonstrating results;
- Specify technical scope of work activities of wind farm consultants or subcontractors;
- Test wind turbine equipment to determine effects of stress or fatigue;
- Recommend process of infrastructure changes to improve wind turbine and project performance, reduce operational costs, and ensure continued compliance with regulations;
- Innovate wind turbine tools, blade maintenance and inspection process and procedures, performance upgrades, and wind turbine technologies for optimizing cost and performance;
- Evaluate fault data from SCADA or other data sources and recommend actions improving reliability and reducing costs;
- Direct supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) monitoring and data logging;
- Establish, maintain, and manage a 7X24 remote SCADA monitoring and turbine reset operations center, consistent with applicable reliability and security criteria;
- Knowledgeable on wind technology components, such as gearboxes, blades, generators, frequency converters, and pad transformers;
- Troubleshoot control algorithms, electronics, software, electromechanical, and electrohydraulic systems;
- Create or maintain wind turbine, schematics, or other visual documentation;
- Attract and develop top engineering and technical talent;
- Participate and support portfolio management and resource planning;
- Provide technical assessment of business opportunities, licensing or acquisitions;
- Ensure that all work complies with safety, quality, best practice, legal and regulatory directives;
- Perform other such duties as may be required;
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures reporting all unsafe activities to Management and/or Human Resources;
- Participate in proactive team efforts to achieve the engineering team’s departmental development and goals;
- Contribute to building a positive team spirit;
- Communicate effectively with subordinates and management at all levels;
- Communicate effectively with customers; Speak publicly and present technical issues effectively;
- Protect confidential information by not communicating, disclosing to, or using for benefit of 3rd parties;
- Solutions oriented; understands full product lifecycle management;
- Hands-on experience and able to coach on test-first development / systems engineering / distributed system development/ failure mode analysis;
- Strong people leadership skills, cross-functional collaboration and conflict mediation;
- Ensure all R&D projects are managed using the appropriate business processes and monitored against project objectives, time scales, budget, and deliver on revenue forecasts;
- Maintain the highest degree of honesty and integrity at all times;
Knowledge, Skills, & Education
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience: Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from an ABET accredited program; or at least ten (10) years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Masters degrees, Professional Engineering License from California and non-Californian states are a plus.
- Communication skills: Ability to work effectively with executive, management, and staff level employees with varying educational, professional, and cultural background using verbal and written communication.
- Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, engineering drawings, engineering specifications for material, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Computer Skills: Knowledge of database software; inventory practices, manufacturing software; blanket ordering; order processing systems; project management software; spreadsheet software and word processing software.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Regularly required to stand and walk. Frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud. Hearing protection may be recommended and/or required in some areas.
Occasionally required to climb, and must be certified at all times to climb wind turbine tower to extreme heights as required, discern colors, and meet weight restriction of 270 pounds.
- Interested applicants should return to the Careers Page and submit your resume, along with a brief cover letter using the link provided for that position.